Have you ever had a patient who had difficulty taking the medication you prescribed?
You’re not alone. Patient non-compliance is a familiar challenge, and can result in the treatment being less effective than it should be.
Common reasons for patient non-compliance may include:
- Stomach upset when taking oral medication
- Reluctance to take the medication due to its taste
- Issues with the route of administration, such as difficulty swallowing pills
- Requiring a different dose of medication than that which is available from a manufacturer
- Difficulty keeping track of multiple medications
- Patients who don’t want to take medication at all, especially children or pets
A pharmacist at Valley View Drugs may be able to provide solutions for complications such as these. In a process of working closely with both patient and prescriber, compounding allows pharmacists to customize medication to meet the individual needs of each patient.